Trumbull College Awards

In addition to the many funding resources available to students throughout the university, a small number of fellowships and awards is administered through Trumbull College. Application to these fellowships, unless otherwise specified, is directly submitted to the Head’s Office. Some of these awards require participation in the Mellon Forum if you choose to be part of that group, where students in their senior year present their work to a group of their peers, an exhibition in the Trumbull Art Gallery, or a performance in the Nick Chapel Theater in Trumbull.

Stephen S. Gurney Summer Travel Fellowship for Trumbull Juniors

Award Amount: Maximum $5,000
Submission deadline:  TBA

Submit application (see application)

The Stephen S. Gurney Summer Travel Fellowship is offering a limited number of travel fellowships for the summer research, in amounts of up to $5,000 each, to Trumbull College juniors. The purpose of the Fellowship is to provide you with an opportunity to pursue an independent project or activity away from New Haven, in a foreign country or within the United States, which might not otherwise be possible. It is hoped that your proposal will be outside your coursework and will expand your personal horizon into an area unfamiliar and challenging to you, but which interests you.

If your proposal is accepted and you are awarded a Fellowship, you will be asked to submit a one page written report describing how you used the funding to the Trumbull Head of College Office and give a presentation in person to the Trumbull College Fellows in October. Please note that awards are reported to the IRS as taxable income. Awardees must disclose the amount of any other funding supporting the proposed project.

Creative and Performing Arts Award (CPA Award)

Award Amount: varies by project
Submission deadline: TBA

Administered by the Council of Heads of Colleges, the Creative and Performing Arts Awards support on-campus dramatic, musical, dance, video or film productions, literary publications, and exhibitions in each residential college. These projects are supported by the Sudler Fund, the Welch Art Fund, and the Bates Fund. Ideally, productions should be held within the residential colleges; if that is not possible, productions must take place on campus.

The Council of Heads of Colleges has an online application process for the Creative and Performing Arts (CPA) Awards in the residential colleges at There you will find application and award guidelines. As in the past, successful proposals should have strong connections with the residential colleges, and the Treasurer of each project must be a member of the sponsoring college. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with Heads of the college prior to submitting applications for CPA awards.

Richter Summer Fellowship

Award Amount: Maximum $1,500
Submission deadline:   Consult Yale Student Grants website (link below)

Submit application to

Richter Summer Fellowship is an award for the independent study and research, not for mere travel, work or enrollment in a school. An internship is a valid use only if the primary component is study or research, being part of a research team is a valid use.  Creative projects are also valid.

Items required: completed application, one-page proposal detailing your research project, and a copy of your registration cover sheet from the Student Grant database. You should submit all items electronically on the Yale Student Grants and Fellowship site. Student must also sign and submit the Assumption of Risk Waiver Form for any international travel. International students make sure your paperwork is completed through Daisy Cardona in the Tax Dept. at (203) 432-5530 so that your check is not delayed.  Make sure you “SUBMIT” your application in the database.

Students who are awarded fellowships will be expected to submit a brief written report to the Council of Heads of Colleges Office at the beginning of the Fall term.

Mellon Research Grant

Award Amount: Maximum $500
Submission deadline:  Consult Yale Student Grants website (link below)

A limited number of Mellon  Research Grants are available for Trumbull undergraduates to pursue research during the academic year under the supervision of a member of the Yale faculty. If awarded a grant, you are required to report on the results of your research either to the Mellon Senior Forum if you are participating in that or to another educational forum in the College. In addition, you must submit to the Trumbull Office a written report on the work made possible by the grant by April.

The on-line application for the Trumbull College Mellon Research Grant and its guidelines are available on the Yale Student Grants and Fellowship site.